Thomas Tuchel has explained what happened in the build up to Valentino Livramento’s departure from Chelsea.
The England U21 international was voted as the club’s young player of the year last season. He was in great form in the Premier League Two division and registered ten assists in all competitions.
Chelsea looked to tie Livramento down to a new deal but the Englishman held firm. He knew he would be offered a small number of first-team opportunities and sought to leave Stamford Bridge.
The Champions League holders ultimately accepted defeat and he was sold to Southampton.
Livramento is now getting used to life at senior level on the south coast. He has featured in the Premier League six times so far this campaign.
The right-back will come up against his former side this weekend. Saints travel to Chelsea at 15:00 on Saturday.
In the pre-match press conference, Tuchel was asked about Livramento. He said “We saw the potential, but Tino decided to go another way. We did everything to keep him here, to compete for a position in our team. There was a big chance for him to make it all the way, but it’s fair enough [to go].”
The German manager was also asked about Gareth Southgate’s England squad. The 51-year-old has called up Chelsea stars Mason Mount and Reece James for upcoming World Cup qualifiers against Andorra and Hungary.
However, the inclusion of James has raised some eyebrows. The defender is currently injured and will miss this weekend’s match.
Tuchel said: “When I saw it, I thought maybe Reece goes with the England water polo team as right now he is training in the pool.
“I was a bit surprised but I understood he was selected for the football team, so this will not happen as he is training in the pool right now.
“My last information is that he will not go so it can only be a misunderstanding and nothing else.”